Оновлено: 12 лип 2020 р.
As a general rule, foreigners are obliged to obtain a work permit in order to be able to work in Ukraine. However, this rule has a few exceptions.
No work permit is required for the following categories of foreign employees:
1) permanent residence permit holders;
2) holders of the refugee status;
3) holders of the immigration permit;
4) asylum seekers or who got extra protection in Ukraine;
5) personnel of foreign airlines, sea or river fleet who serve such companies in Ukraine;
6) personnel of foreign mass media that got accreditation in Ukraine;
7) professional sportsmen and artists;
8) personnel of search and rescue services for performance of emergency missions;
9) personnel of foreign representative offices registered in Ukraine;
10) church personnel approved by the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine;
11) participants of international technical aid projects;
12) teachers and scientists invited by Ukrainian high and pre-high education facilities;
13) other foreigners in accordance with certain international treaties and special laws.
If to be more precise, then it must be stressed that a work permit is obtained by the employer but not by the employee. Hence, dealing with work permit formalities is the employer’ headache. However, the employee will need to help his/her employer by providing him with some documentation.
The following standard documents have to be submitted for obtaining the work permit:
1) application under the established form;
2) notarized copy of the foreigner’s translated and notarized passport;
3) foreigner’s color photo (3.5 x 4.5 centimeters);
4) copy of the labor contract template to be concluded between the foreigner and the employer, certified by the employer.
But the above are not all documents needed. Other documents depend on the professional category of the foreigner and the relevant job:
All documents issued abroad should be apostilled / legalized, translated into the Ukrainian language and notarized.
A work permit is issued for a time period based on the category of employment, for some cases it is 1 year and for the rest it is 3 years usually. However, you can renew a work permit as many times as needed.
State fees for issuance or renewal of a work permit are the following:
A decision to grant or deny a work permit is made within 7 business days, or it takes 3 business days for renewal of work permits.
The fee is paid within 10 business days after a decision to grant / renew a work permit is made.
Note, that an application for renewal of a work permit must be submitted not later than within 20 calendar days before expiration of the work permit.
Contact Legal Ideas law firm to get advice on your personal case.